Cafè Capretz is a bistro in the heart of Barga old town. In addition to the rich gastronomic offer and the beautiful location, the restaurant has a long history. It was founded in 1870 by the Swiss family Capretz. The Cafè has been the centre of Barga intellectual and artistic life for years. The poet Giovanni Pascoli was a regular customer and friend of Capretz family. The painter Alberto Magri used to stay on the Cafè terrace and left wonderful images of the sunsets and the square. At the beginning of the 20th century, these rooms hosted film projections. During the ’50ies the foreign singers and musicians of Opera Barga brought the 5 o’clock tea tradition.
We want to follow this path: the Capretz is not just a restaurant but also a space where the arts can express themselves. Cafè Capretz today is a meeting point for many local and international artists. Meeting at Capretz is a moment to share art and knowledge: in the Cafè you can admire the works of painters and sculptors, a real collection of art and beauty. Next summer we will propose many art exhibitions in collaboration with artist Giorgia Madiai. This is our “cApReTz” project!